Bangladesh tourism board:
Tourism is an important sector of the economy of Bangladesh. It can potentially contribute significantly to the country’s growth and development. However, the tourism industry in Bangladesh is still in its infancy. To promote the tourism sector and attract more tourists, the Bangladesh Tourism Board was established in 2010. In this article, we will explore the Bangladesh Tourism Board and its role in promoting tourism in the country.
What is the Bangladesh Tourism Board?
The Bangladesh Tourism Board (BTB) is a government agency responsible for developing and promoting tourism in Bangladesh. It was established in 2010 under the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Tourism. The main objective of BTB is to develop tourism as a sustainable industry, promote Bangladesh as a tourist destination, and attract foreign tourists to the country.
Functions of the Bangladesh Tourism Board:
The Bangladesh Tourism Board has several functions geared towards promoting tourism in the country. Some of these functions include:
- Developing tourism policies: The BTB is responsible for developing policies and strategies that promote tourism in the country. This includes identifying potential tourism products and destinations, developing marketing plans and strategies, and coordinating with other government agencies to promote tourism.
- Promoting Bangladesh as a tourist destination: The BTB is responsible for promoting Bangladesh as a tourist destination both locally and internationally. This involves creating marketing materials, participating in trade shows and exhibitions, and engaging with travel agents and tour operators.
- Supporting the tourism industry: The BTB supports the tourism industry in Bangladesh by facilitating access to finance, providing training and capacity-building opportunities, and encouraging the development of new tourism products and services.
- Conducting research and analysis: The BTB conducts research and analysis on the tourism industry in Bangladesh. This includes collecting data on tourist arrivals, analyzing trends and patterns, and identifying opportunities for growth and development.
- Monitoring and evaluation: The BTB monitors and evaluates the impact of its activities on the tourism industry in Bangladesh. This allows it to identify areas where it needs to improve and change its policies and strategies.
Challenges facing the Bangladesh Tourism Board:
Despite its best efforts, the Bangladesh Tourism Board faces several challenges in promoting tourism. Some of these challenges include:
- Lack of infrastructure: Bangladesh has a limited tourism infrastructure, making attracting tourists difficult. The country lacks quality accommodation, transportation, and tourist attractions.
- Security concerns: Bangladesh has experienced some security incidents in recent years, which has negatively impacted the country’s image as a safe tourist destination.
- Limited marketing budget: The BTB has a limited marketing budget, making it difficult to compete with other countries in the region with larger budgets.
- Limited tourism products: Bangladesh has limited tourism products and destinations, making it difficult to attract tourists with diverse interests.
The Bangladesh Tourism Board plays an important role in promoting tourism in the country. Despite facing several challenges, BTB has made significant progress in developing tourism as a sustainable industry in Bangladesh. However, there is still much work to be done to develop the country’s tourism infrastructure, improve its security situation, and expand the range of tourism products and destinations on offer. With the right policies and strategies in place, Bangladesh has the potential to become a major tourist destination in the region.